[Themaintainers] Why Do People Neglect Maintenance?

Julien Kirch archiloque at archiloque.net
Wed Aug 7 05:24:05 EDT 2019

Hi,

I'm working in IT where maintenance is a big topic, for example in banks and other large organisations the core systems may be decade-old and sometimes use technologies that are becoming obscure.

In IT people are more easily promoted for creating new systems, and newer technologies are often seen as more performant and easier to use so maintenance is not seen as cool or as a good career choice.

And as maintenance is often not seen as important or difficult by management, at any moment your job can be moved to a subcontractor -- for example an offshore one -- when budget cuts are required. The secure path is to jump from a project as soon as it reach maintenance to go to another project that is just starting.

Finally, in my experience, maintenance in IT is often a more complex / difficult work than creating new systems: you have to deal with existing constraints, documentation is often lacking with important knowledge lost, and breaking the system has real consequences.

So in many places things are pretty dire, and I don't think they will improve soon.

Julien