[Themaintainers] Why Do People Neglect Maintenance?

Ishi Crew mediaentropy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 06:12:00 EDT 2019

Regarding Julie K's comment --- I've talked to people who do scientific
computing (ie use computers to solve scientific problems) and they tell me
that while the most current software is all things like R , Python, or C
(which is old) , they also have alot of their old standard software written
in Fortran which was written in 1970's-1980's.  And if something happens
with that --- a problem-- they basically don't really know how to fix it.

  It seems like an issue of being able to use new technology for fixing
plumbing in a house, but the often very old, underground  water system that
serves your house is basically inaccesible---you'd have to dig up the
street with a bulldozer, cut all the trees down,  and deal with huge pipes
which are decades old.