[Themaintainers] edtech and maintenance: request for readings

Morgan G. Ames morganya at berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 20 13:01:38 EST 2019

Tom - I've written about maintenance of One Laptop per Child projects, in
case that could be a good case study here. I have a book coming out this
summer with MIT Press that could be useful (I tried to write it very
accessibly) - *The Charisma Machine: The Life, Death, and Legacy of One
Laptop per Child*. In the meantime, here are some citations that might be
useful:

2014. Rosner, Daniela K. and Morgan G. Ames. “Designing for Repair?
Infrastructures and Materialities of Breakdown.”
<https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2531692> Proceedings of CSCW 2014, ACM
Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing. ACM
Press, February 2014, 319-331. [pdf
<http://morganya.org/research/ames-rosner-cscw14-repair.pdf>]

2015. Ames, Morgan G. “Charismatic Technology.”
<https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2882871> Proceedings of CC 2015, the
5th Decennial Conference on Critical Computing, Aarhus, Denmark. ACM Press,
August 2015, 109-120. [pdf
<http://morganya.org/research/Ames-charisma-aarhus.pdf>]

2011. Warschauer, Mark, Shelia Cotten, and Morgan G. Ames. “One Laptop per
Child Birmingham: Case Study of a Radical Experiment.” International
Journal of Learning and Media, 3:2 (2011), 61-76. [pdf
<http://morganya.org/research/warschauer-olpc-birmingham.pdf>]

2010. Warschauer, Mark and Morgan G. Ames. “Can One Laptop per Child Save
the World’s Poor?” <https://www.jstor.org/stable/24385184> Journal of
International Affairs, 64:1 (2010), 33-51. [pdf
<http://morganya.org/research/Warschauer_Ames_OLPC_JIA.pdf>]

Happy to answer any questions - thanks!
Morgan

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 9:52 AM Tom Okie <wtokie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Apologies if I've missed an earlier discussion of educational technology
> on this list, but I'm in the process of developing a list of
> readings/viewings for a course I teach called "Technology for Historians
> and History Educators," mostly to practicing teachers. I take a broad view
> of technology in the course (we talk about blackboards and codices as well
> as digital tech), and we'll be reading Larry Cuban's *Oversold and
> Underused: Computers in the Classroom*, and some of Audrey Watters'
> writing on edtech.
>
> Anyway, I'd be eager to hear if anyone has other suggestions for pieces
> that might teach well, including pieces that praise edtech, promise
> innovation and disruption, or address maintenance problems in education.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom Okie
> Kennesaw State University

Morgan G. Ames
http://morganya.org

Pronouns: she/her/hers
If you have an accommodation need for a planned meeting, please email me
directly and I will do my best to make appropriate arrangements. Should you
require any materials sent via email in an alternate format, please let me
know.