[Themaintainers] Consumer well-being + Refurbishment Services

Ishi Crew mediaentropy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 09:36:19 EDT 2019

This is an interesting post (as are ones from last month on liberalism,
coherence and peer production) but I have not been following this list
recently due to information overload (and stress) (and this takes a toll on
maintaining my physical environment, physical and mental health) .  I
wonder if I should go to that conference (since its an hour metro ride or
2-3  hour walk away,  or should I save the 100$ if I were to go for 1 day,
or more for the entire conference since I have a budget constraint ).

 I'd go to see if there are study or research opportunities--I'm sort of
working on a semi-mathematical project on resource and task allocation,
suggested by an informal environmental/global climate change study  and
research group  (which could be called 'citizen science' or 'participatory
action research').  (There are many related approaches to this problem ,
mostly using advanced calculus or computer algorithms--I'm trying to do a
simple formalism.)  .
      (I've done a bit of both academic research (in theoretical biology),
and also maintenance (ie physical labor on home repair ) but am not really
suited to either full time (the choices have been either get a PhD and do
full time computer modeling--if you can get tenure, or else full time
roofing, carpentry, plumbing , etc. Theoretical biology deals with issues
like how ecosystems maintain stability---or don't---and how flora and fauna
allocate resources in an ecosystem--basically same kind of issue studied by
economists for society. )

Doing full time work at either of those things I found had limited 'hedonic
and eudaimonic value' for me (the model was either become a professor and
hire people to do maintenance while you do research, or else work in
maintenance for a professor.  Many people in environment I grew up in did a
mix of academic and maintenance work. ).

Some of us just 'fall through the cracks'  --some say this is because we
are clumsy, incompetent, or undisciplined; others say this is because
society is poorly maintained---has alot of cracks in the infrastructure
(and 'superstructure' as Marx might have called it --the set of ideas or
values that 'hold society together').   (In area I live they are
continually repairing roads, sidewalks, electricity infrastructure, and
more --and people fall on streets around here at times due to cracks in the
road. I used to take guitar lessons across from Gaullaudet at CU---and i
broke a guitar i recently bought due to some uneven ground --and spent some
time trying to repair it, but that may take alot  more work and supplies
than I did , so I bought another one--save that for another time if I get
around to it).  Persona with disabilities (or special abilities) often fall
through the cracks.
   (There's a classic song called 'things done changed', with the line 'i
can't maintain'    --some local youth made a mural with that lyric in a
local park---when it was refurbished.  That park used to be loaded with
trash and could be a dangerous place to walk through--now its sort of fixed
up , though the demographic has sort of changed.)