[Themaintainers] Consumer well-being + Refurbishment Services

Ruth Kitchin Tillman ruthtillman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 10:35:07 EDT 2019

Really appreciated this part of Ishi's email: "but that may take alot more
work and supplies" -- in my opinion, one of the best things about shared
repair spaces or other ways of doing repair is the availability of supplies.

I'll give an example -- I bought a lovely wool sweater from a thrift store.
It was very cheap because it had a hole in the elbow. I'm a
seamstress/crafter so I decided I would attempt to darn it. Previous
attempts at darning had ... not... gone well. I'd always been using the
wrong materials, etc. But this was a *nice* sweater and I actually had a
well-paying job. So I went out and bought a matching skein of wool thread.
I used my own yarn needle. I bought a leather patch to cover the darn and
prevent further wear.

These weren't more expensive than a nice wool sweater would be new, but
they were the right materials and they definitely cost money. After
finishing it, I learned from a friend about other ways to get smaller
amounts of wool yarn for darns like this. Knowing what to get was a combo
of having a common problem, having the financial wherewithal to fix the
thing nicely, and having years of skills built up which made the problem
itself only one which required time to execute.

There were points in my life where I didn't have the financial wherewithal
to feel that I could spend maybe $20 on repair supplies when $20 would buy
a much more cheaply-made new sweater! Or I might've gotten it fixed using
the supplies I had on hand, but not in a way that was aesthetically
coherent enough that I felt comfortable wearing it to work (particularly
with the paradoxical way in which I am more secure in my job and at a
higher rank and now feel more comfortable being a bit weird/offbeat at
work).

Communal supplies, shared spaces, etc., seem so important to me because it
levels a playing field and allows for skill sharing in cases where we'd
really like to repair, but either can't do in a way that enables reasonable
use (e.g. can I wear it to work and not be embarrassed?) or don't have the
particular skills but can share other skills.

Ruth