[Themaintainers] How’s That Open Source Governance Working for You?

Greg Bloom bloom at openreferral.org
Thu Apr 30 11:36:33 EDT 2020

Nathan, this is great!

I've been helping folks in a few related communities (most prominently
SustainOSS, and also Aspiration's Nonprofit Tech Dev network) articulate a
set of principles for open source commons governance -
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OLjzRT9u-vjswnVj4AVYtmI8-eYkQPszigkYEkzcH-k/edit#heading=h.nweapf4ij2p6

We've applied the Ostrom framework for Institutional Analysis and Design,
translated those jargony principles into language relevant to open source
software maintainers, and now are thinking about how to package this into a
useful artifact. Seems like there are a few like-minded initiatives
emerging, like Community Rule, for which this framework could be
complementary.

Eager to see where these conversations go :)
greg

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 9:41 AM Nathan Schneider <
nathan.schneider at colorado.edu> wrote:

> Maintainer friends,
>
> As it seems there's a growing conversation in this group on open-source
> maintenance, I thought I'd share my new little broadside at Hacker Noon, "How’s
> That Open Source Governance Working for You?
> <https://hackernoon.com/hows-that-open-source-governance-working-for-you-mphv32ng>
> "
>
> A fun bit of buried news: The Ethical Source Definition now includes a
> provision that groups should make their governance rules explicit—I think
> an exciting step forward.
>
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Schneider
> Assistant Professor, Media Studies
> University of Colorado Boulder

*Leading up the Open Referral Initiative.*
Book a time to talk on my calendar <http://calendly.com/greg-bloom/>.
Reach me directly at 305.962.2859 <(305)%20962-2859>

Web: OpenReferral.org <http://openreferral.org/>
Community: Open Referral Forum
<http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/openreferral>