[Themaintainers] XKCD comic on maintenance

Casey Boardman casey.boardman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 08:06:49 EDT 2020

"Criminal" or "grandfathered in" or simply "not broken (yet)"?  :)  Maybe
replace "A project some random person in Nebraska has been thanklessly
maintaining" with "a wire some rodent has been chewing on" or "a pipe
that's been in the ground for decades", etc.?

Making this comic more generic is a good exercise in "what could go
wrong?".  The stuff that rarely changes and even more rarely breaks can be
(and often is) taken for granted in both the digital and physical worlds.
As usual, XKCD nails it.  (And if you need a picture to try to justify
time/money for a maintenance project, I can't think of a better one.)

-Casey