[Themaintainers] XKCD comic on maintenance

M. Scott Ford scott at corgibytes.com
Fri Aug 21 09:56:40 EDT 2020

Software dependencies have been a passion of mine for the last year or so. Not only do I find the XKCD picture to be accurate, there's also the issue that most teams are using versions of these dependencies that are severely out of date.

I've been looking into dependency freshness measures, which help teams quantify how out of date their dependencies have become. I've given a talk about this a few times recently (slides: https://www.slideshare.net/mscottford/a-deep-dive-into-measuring-dependency-freshness-with-lib-year ) (video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR9aRD1pmkQ ).

I'm also working on a tool called Freshli ( https://github.com/corgibytes/freshli ) to help teams measure and monitor how fresh their software dependencies are. It scans a source code repository's history and graphs the freshness measure in a few different ways (example: https://github.com/corgibytes/freshli/pull/61#issuecomment-670017474 ). It's not deployed anywhere where it can be used just yet. That's a few weeks away at the rate that we are going.

M. Scott Ford
Co-Founder & Chief Code Whisperer
Corgibytes, LLC
804.596.2375 x701