[Themaintainers] Hack_Curio, a resource for teaching, even in a pandemic.

Christopher M. Kelty ckelty at ucla.edu
Tue Aug 18 13:42:07 EDT 2020

Hey Maintainers Mailing List!

If you, like the four of us, are about to enter a year of teaching
like no other, and you are hard at work re-thinking EVERYTHING,
then we might have a resource for you which can help solve all
your problems (or at least just keep your students happy for a few
hours without having to stare at the screen too long):
https://hackcur.io/

Hack_Curio is a video exhibit about hackers that helps explain why
hacking is one of the most important phenomena of global culture
and politics in the late 20th and early 21st century.  Not the
least of which are a variety of issues related to infrastructure
maintenance and the politics of open software and infrastructure.

Teaching a course on hackers? Internet culture? Media politics,
disinformation, the visual culture of the last 40 years,
disability and technology he economics of information, the history
of computing, surveillance, or geopolitics, the literature of
cyberpunk, the gender and race politics of computing and silicon
valley...? You name it, we. (may.) have. your. video. And better
yet, each video comes paired with a paragraph or two written by a
scholar, hacker, or journalist. The videos and entries are short
but also try to a make a point or two which your students can
learn from, take apart, rework, or expand on.

You can check out the full list here https://hackcur.io/the-list/
or explore the site by category or tags.

We put this site together with teaching in mind so we figured we'd
remind educators of its existence... Happy Syllabating.

And if you use it, do tell us how it worked!

Chris, Biella, Paula, and Nathan