[Themaintainers] Open Source Software: What makes maintenance something people do ?

jan dittrich.c.jan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 09:39:09 EDT 2020

Hello Maintainers,

TL;DR: How are people socialized to continue to maintain (open source
software)?

I wonder if you know any studies that analyze what makes developers
continue to maintain a piece of code, often without pay. A lot of open
source culture celebrates (libertarian) freedom, creating new solutions
and avoiding obligations (at least according to Nafus, 2011 [1] ).
Code/Software is provided "as is", so there is no written social or (or
even legal) contract to NOT leave a project, yet people seem to go
through a lot of pain to maintain old code or adapt old code to changing
infrastructure. I thus wonder how and why they continue to maintain in
the face that a lot of the openly celebrated activities are somewhere else.

Jan

[1]: ‘Patches don’t have gender’: What is not open in open source
software,  Dawn Nafus, 2011
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1461444811422887