[Themaintainers] The historical (and ethical) context of the Open Source movement

Don Goodman-Wilson don at maintainerati.org
Wed Jan 22 06:47:57 EST 2020

Y’all. Y’all! This is an incredible list of resources and insights and I am humbled and honored at the same time. This is a lot to read through, and it will no doubt take some time to digest.

A bit of background on myself, as it might be helpful: I’m a child of the 90s, and I spent far too much time in university reading Slashdot and analyzing the FSF/OSI schism and playing armchair license lawyer with my friends. I can’t say I made any real or impactful contributions to any software of note or the community at large, but I did get to bear witness to much of the late-early days of the Open Source movement.

At the moment I’m finding my attention pulled a little bit earlier in time (to an era I was too young to have experienced directly), to the 70s and 80s where there was an inflection point in the earlier countercultural movement (I am too young to know how best to refer to this moment in history), and a shift in thinking about how technology could be used to realize those heady hippie ideals. And how that historical context influenced the later story of The FSF and OSI. I am not certain this is a fruitful avenue but it seems intriguing.

Anyway, I’m going to keep reading, thank you again! And if anyone else will be at FOSDEM and wants to meet up, I think I’ll have some free time on Sunday afternoon ;)

Don GOODMAN-WILSON
Maintainerati Board
mail: don at maintainerati.org
twitter: @DEGoodmanWilson