[Themaintainers] Direct Response to Community Message and Invitation to Engage

Angela Woodall awwoodall at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 08:58:16 EDT 2020

Along the lines of your email, I wanted to let you all know about the
Strike for Black Lives on Wednesday. https://www.particlesforjustice.org/faq
I don't know that much about it to be honest but I am interested in the
premise of opening conversations like those you suggested in your email in
order to come together and move to the next stage after protest -- picking
up the power, as it were. Seems to me that maintenance would be a wonderful
contribution to the conversation.
BTW, all are welcome to participate, i.e. different fields and
"non-academics."

Also, von Schnitzler's "Democracy’s Infrastructure, Apartheid’s Debris"
seems like it might be an interesting add to the list.

Best,
Angela

We will stop all usual academic work for the day, including teaching,
research, and service responsibilities. All ordinary meetings of classes,
research groups, and seminars should be cancelled or replaced with
discussions with colleagues about anti-black bias in the world and in
academia.

We will also stop activities that advance our own scholarship, including
performing research, reading and submitting papers, or sending e-mails
about research.

*The strike is not a “day off” for non-Black scientists, but a day to
engage in academia’s core mission to build a better society for everyone;
see below for suggested actions that participants can take on strike day to
educate themselves and advocate for change in their communities. Those of
us who are Black academics should take the day to do whatever nourishes
their hearts, whether that’s protesting, organizing, or watching “Astronomy
Club.”*

-Angela Woodall
NEW PUBLICATION ***  Blockchain Archival Discourse
<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/metrics/10.1177/1461444819888756>: Trust
and the Imaginaries of Digital Preservation with Sharon Ringel
<https://twitter.com/sharonringel?lang=en> in *New Media & Society*
*READ **** Media Capture in the Era of Megaleak <http://bit.ly/35Se6Kv>s in
*Journalism*
Ph.D. Candidate, Communications, Columbia University
Brown Institute for Media Innovation
Tow Center for Digital Journalism
http://towcenter.org/academics/Angela-Mary-Woodall

-----
If I don't respond immediately, I may not be able to read your message as
closely as it deserves and need a little more time.