[Themaintainers] Sloan Foundation Award: Movement for Maintenance Thinking and Action

Jessica Meyerson jmeyerson at themaintainers.org
Wed Jun 10 15:57:20 EDT 2020

Dear Fellow Maintainers,

We are writing to share an exciting piece of news: The Maintainers have
been awarded a grant from the Alfred. P. Sloan Foundation in support of the
“Building the Movement for Maintenance Thinking and Action: A
Community-Based Approach” project. Through this project, The Maintainers
and its organizational partners—SUNY Poly, Educopia, and Virginia Tech—will
develop an organizational and financial model to extend and sustain a
movement that advocates for the importance of maintenance in technology and
American society.

The “Building the Movement for Maintenance Thinking and Action: A
Community-Based Approach” project team will work to achieve these goals by
accomplishing the following:

   1.

   Build operations and capacity-building for the Maintainers organization
   2.

   Circulate for feedback and further develop the Maintenance Community
   Framework
   3.

   Support existing Maintenance Communities and convene two new Maintenance
   Communities
   4.

   Plan and convene virtual and in-person community events
   5.

   Develop the Maintainers research agenda
   6.

   Find new ways, monetarily and otherwise, to recognize the work of
   maintainers and their foundational contributions to society

You can read the full award announcement here
<http://themaintainers.org/blog/2020/6/2/announcing-3-years-of-sloan-foundation-support>
.

In order to move these goals forward, we are now hiring a Project
Coordinator. Review begins *June 24, 2020*, and the job description and
application details can be found here
<https://educopia.org/project-coordinator-the-maintainers/>. Please share
widely with your colleagues and within your communities! For questions
about the Project Coordinator, please contact hr at educopia.org.
The Maintainers and its partner institutions are deeply appreciative of the
Sloan Foundation’s generous support of this work. For more information
about our work, visit our blog to read more or contact the Maintainers
co-directors. Our contact information can be found here
<http://themaintainers.org/about-us>.

Yours in Maintenance,

Jess, Lee, Andy