[Themaintainers] invitation to engage: Race and Maintenance

Jaime Taylor jaimetaylor at umass.edu
Fri Jun 12 10:21:09 EDT 2020

Here's an example from a couple years ago in NYC -- the NYPD was required, through a court decision, to preserve their records of surveilling the Young Lords. And then....well, you can read about it. There was also an interview on Democracy Now & plenty of other news articles, as well as the book that was the original impetus to find the records. (FTR, I'm acquainted, through political work, with the lawyer who made the NYPD find the records, as well as the writer of both articles below.)

https://gothamist.com/news/remember-the-young-lords-neither-does-the-nypd-which-is-odd

<https://gothamist.com/news/remember-the-young-lords-neither-does-the-nypd-which-is-odd>

<https://gothamist.com/news/remember-the-young-lords-neither-does-the-nypd-which-is-odd>https://www.villagevoice.com/2016/06/16/under-media-spotlight-city-locates-missing-records-of-nypd-political-meddling/