[Themaintainers] invitation to engage: Race and Maintenance

Marco Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Fri Jun 12 12:33:31 EDT 2020

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 16:03, "Irish, Sharon Lee"  wrote:
... I imagine there are similar efforts out there to track other state actions that some would prefer to remain undocumented.

... perhaps there is ample attention to this already, but I am interested in this DIY approach to tracking state violence, which also means maintaining documentation about it for others to consult.
Hello Sharon,
you want to look at the Open Data movement. I was one of the first generation advocates, back in 2010/2011, producing these reports that are still useful (I hope) to explain what it is:
http://stop.zona-m.net/2011/01/the-open-data-open-society-report-2/ (http://stop.zona-m.net/2011/01/the-open-data-open-society-report-2/)
http://stop.zona-m.net/2011/09/open-data-emerging-trends-issues-and-best-practices/ (http://stop.zona-m.net/2011/09/open-data-emerging-trends-issues-and-best-practices/)
I am not really completely current with that community right now, but if you look for "open data" on crime, police activity, related keywords.... you may find activists already doing what you need, or at least able to give you concrete tips on how to set up such an activity.
HTH,
Marco