[Themaintainers] How do you make maintainance less boring? (was: Thanks and McKinsey Maintenance Report)

David Eddy deddy at davideddy.com
Thu Oct 22 07:46:06 EDT 2020

Bastien -

On Oct 22, 2020, at 3:37 AM, Bastien <bzg at bzg.fr> wrote:

>> I think Andy's take was the report was "on point but a
>> bit boring."
>
> Isn't this the very definition of "maintainance"? :)
>
> If I may use this tangent to open a new discussion: how can we change
> the overall perception of maintainance as "boring"?

Depends what your definition, understanding & experience with “exciting” is.

For instance, recent public events here in the States:

1/ - the OCC (Office of the Comptroller of the currency, a quiet & relatively unknown bank auditing office in the US Treasury) & the Federal Reserve publicly announcing on the front page of the Wall Street Journal that the CEO of CitiBank should look for another post.   See WSJ 2020-09-14

2/ - CitiBank being levied a US$400M fine.

Reading just a smidge between the lines here, I’m willing to go out on a limb & guess that inadequate software maintenance practices were involved…

You pick as to boring or exciting.

Reminds me of the childhood sight gag.

Q: What’s this (as you hold your hand with finges pointed up)

A: A dead this (as you flip the hand over with fingers pointed down).

- David