[Themaintainers] How do you make maintainance less boring? (was: Thanks and McKinsey Maintenance Report)

Andrew Russell arussell at arussell.org
Thu Oct 22 08:24:32 EDT 2020

> On Oct 22, 2020, at 3:37 AM, Bastien <bzg at bzg.fr> wrote:
>
> lee vinsel <lee at themaintainers.org> writes:
>
>> I think Andy's take was the report was "on point but a
>> bit boring."
>
> Isn't this the very definition of "maintainance"? :)
>
> If I may use this tangent to open a new discussion: how can we change
> the overall perception of maintainance as "boring"?

To be clear, my ‘take' was tongue-in-cheek.  I think Bastien is exactly on the right track - stories are more or less engaging to the extent that authors know their audiences.  One should not expect a character-driven drama from a McKinsey report on “The future of maintenance for distributed fixed assets”; just as one should not expect a data-driven assessment of IoT to be published in, say, The American Poetry Review.  But one beautiful thing about maintenance is that it’s an engaging topic for both audiences (and so many others).  The challenge comes in how one frames the discussion.

A big +1 to Bastien’s last word (below)

"I strongly believe that we need to tell a different *story* about maintainance - and actually a million ones.”

Andy