[Themaintainers] How do you make maintainance less boring? (was: Thanks and McKinsey Maintenance Report)

Andromeda Yelton andromeda.yelton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 08:42:23 EDT 2020

In addition to "software maintenance helps people", I would add that
there's a real intellectual challenge involved. Perhaps less creative and
more analytical than green-fields development, but personally I really
enjoy identifying all the moving parts, figuring out how they fit together,
and then rebuilding the plane while it is in flight.

Upgrading a dependency version may be often rather dull, but refactoring a
major component to make it more usable, readable, and, well, maintainable
can be a high-wire act.