[Themaintainers] Maintenance engineering coursework?

Varun Adibhatla (ARGO) varun at argolabs.org
Thu Apr 8 20:48:40 EDT 2021

Thanks Melinda.

I understand the nuance. Thank you. That clarifies my objection. I see the
place for Weibull.
I hope this is making for interesting conversation for others in the group
else happy to connect separately. (for the mods :)

I'm affiliated with efforts to apply machine learning techniques to risk
ranking bare steel pipe replacements and leak survey programs using asset
and leak data that is enriched with external data such as weather and soil.

One of the datasets we rely on is US soil data, that contains specific
attributes on "Steel Corrosion" ~ the susceptibility of uncoated steel to
corrosion when in contact with the soil.
As you may be able to see here <https://imgur.com/a/oyGlEXO> there's
quite a lot of variation suggesting that a pipeline can have different
shapes of deterioration curves as it comes in contact with different types
of soil.

Add in precipitation events, and you have specific sections of pipe
subjected to varying intensities of corrosion.
Pipeline engineers do implement cathodic protection to stave off corrosion
in some of these areas.

Furthermore, we also found an interesting (though somewhat weak)
relationship between corossion based leak events and lunar cycles.
We found that Underground infrastructure in areas with large underground
aquifers are subject to groundwater tides or earth tides
<https://theconversation.com/squeezed-by-gravity-how-tides-affect-the-groundwater-under-our-feet-74928#:~:text=Effect%20of%20tides%20on%20groundwater&text=The%20gravity%20change%20from%20Earth,results%20in%20a%20downward%20squeezing.>
where
the same forces that affect ocean tides exerts *a pull *on moisture from
the groundwater thereby subjecting these pipes to more exposure to moisture
and therefore more corrosion.

I often come across Weibull models in the industry and I feel that I am
somewhat biased that modeling degradation using external factors like soil
and weather is *better than relying solely on a statistical analysis of end
of life events.*

In other words Maintenance based on only looking at reports of outcome  vs
Maintenance based on signals revealed from revealing hidden / complex
forces that assets are subject to...
....feels like the story of Abraham Wald and his famous Survivorship Bias
experiment  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias>

Feel like many epistemic swords are pointed in my direction for saying
that!

Always Happy to be proven wrong!!!

--
Thank You,