[Themaintainers] Big question - but looking for practical solution

Erin Richardson erin at frankandglory.com
Fri Apr 16 11:47:36 EDT 2021

Hello, maintainers!

I normally work in the museum space where I work with maintenance and
preservation of cultural objects and associated metadata and systems.

This time I have a project that involves equipment in use (or supposed to
be in use) and I'm looking for a maintenance plan framework for a very
small nonprofit organization without any kind of maintenance plan for
their equipment. They do "ad-hoc" maintenance and are very loathe to
officially retire anything because someone might be able to fix it some
day.

However, their boneyard is impinging on their ability to fulfill their
public mission - a whole lot of square footage is consumed with broken
equipment, much of which has been in purgatory so long that it wouldn't be
redeployed even if repaired because it has been superceded by something
better.

So, I'd like to direct them to some philosophy about maintenance that
focuses on planning and resource allocation for preventative maintenance
and repair, but also something that will help them know when it is ok to
enter equipment into hospice and let it die. These are science people, but
I'd prefer something not-too-technical. They're a fun and very smart bunch
with a basement full of what can only be described as recyclables at this
point.  Help please?

Thank you!
Erin

 Erin Richardson, PhD