[Themaintainers] Big question - but looking for practical solution

Varun Adibhatla (ARGO) varun at argolabs.org
Mon Apr 19 20:26:25 EDT 2021

Erin,

My suggestion is to replace the "ad-hoc" culture of maintenance with a
regular cadence of upkeep but also MAKING IT FUN!!!
Maybe every Friday is Maintenance Day! where the scientists can take a
break from their routines and socialize around maintaining the machines
that serve them.
Maybe they could extend the theme so that every Friday, they invite a
Maintainer to teach them how to repair and maintain all sorts of stuff?
(machines, body, mind)
In the absence of local maintenance talent, maybe they can binge on some
youtube videos that show how to repair and maintain all sorts of
stuff? (machines, body, mind)

I'd be happy to make a maintenance oriented youtube playlist for your
mysterious science people working with what appears to be interesting
equipment :)

Hope this helps,
Varun

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 2:43 PM Erin Richardson <erin at frankandglory.com>
wrote:

> Hello, maintainers!
>
> I normally work in the museum space where I work with maintenance and
> preservation of cultural objects and associated metadata and systems.
>
> This time I have a project that involves equipment in use (or supposed to
> be in use) and I'm looking for a maintenance plan framework for a very
> small nonprofit organization without any kind of maintenance plan for
> their equipment. They do "ad-hoc" maintenance and are very loathe to
> officially retire anything because someone might be able to fix it some
> day.
>
> However, their boneyard is impinging on their ability to fulfill their
> public mission - a whole lot of square footage is consumed with broken
> equipment, much of which has been in purgatory so long that it wouldn't be
> redeployed even if repaired because it has been superceded by something
> better.
>
> So, I'd like to direct them to some philosophy about maintenance that
> focuses on planning and resource allocation for preventative maintenance
> and repair, but also something that will help them know when it is ok to
> enter equipment into hospice and let it die. These are science people, but
> I'd prefer something not-too-technical. They're a fun and very smart bunch
> with a basement full of what can only be described as recyclables at this
> point.  Help please?
>
> Thank you!
> Erin
>

>  Erin Richardson, PhD
> * Founder and Principal*
>   C — 518.577.0186 | FrankAndGlory.com <http://frankandglory.com/>
> (formerly Erin Richardson Consulting)
>   —————
>   Follow us on Linked In <https://www.linkedin.com/company/frank-glory/>
>   Download my Contact Card
>
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/dbj1inhmg27822n/ErinRichardson-FrankandGlory-vcard.vcf?dl=0>

Thank You,
Varun Adibhatla
Applied Research in Government Operations - argolabs.org
347-815-3383