[Themaintainers] Big question - but looking for practical solution

Brian Thomas bthomas at tsl.texas.gov
Tue Apr 20 09:28:06 EDT 2021

Hi Erin,

Seems like part of this might be sentimentality, the whole my old car isn't junk it just isn't working mindset. Depending on what kind of equipment is involved many archives would love to have some older equipment to try to Frankenstein a working solution to access older media. Some universities as well. I would love to get my hands on a working 8" floppy drive, for example. It could be worthwhile to explore behind the scenes a possibility of reaching a donation agreement with an institution. It could satisfy your IT desire to make sure the old hardware gets to someone who can use it and free up some space. Depending on who you reach out to, the place may also be willing to let you use the donated hardware should the need ever arise.

Just a thought.
Brian