[Themaintainers] Essential Work

Andrew Russell andy at themaintainers.org
Fri Feb 19 13:18:42 EST 2021

Ed, thanks so much for sharing this.  I find this subject endlessly fascinating: for both personal/family reasons, scholarly reasons, and also since workforce development is a significant part of what we’re doing at my university (SUNY Polytechnic).

I wrote about this subject for a workshop on Knowledge Infrastructures that was organized at UCLA last year <http://knowledgeinfrastructures.org/>, by a team led by Christine Borgman - my last trip before shutdown (*sniff*). Lee and I also touched on it in The Innovation Delusion, highlighting the contrast between high-prestige “innovative” occupations and lower-prestige occupations (many of which, as Mike Rowe noted in the segment, have been recast as “essential” during the pandemic).

Here’s my brief paper from that workshop, responding to prompts from the organizers: https://escholarship.org/uc/item/8j8466b7.

I’d be really interested to chat with people who could be tempted to join forces to do more research/writing/advocacy about these issues - or to get connected with people or groups who are already doing just that.

Take care everyone -

Andy

_____

Andrew L. Russell, Ph.D.
+ Dean, College of Arts & Sciences, SUNY Polytechnic Institute
+ Co-Director, The Maintainers <https://themaintainers.org/>
+ Co-Author, The Innovation Delusion: How Our Obsession with the New Has Disrupted the Work That Matters Most <https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/576816/the-innovation-delusion-by-lee-vinsel-and-andrew-l-russell/>