[Choir] Summer Acting Workshop

Bethany Reeves breeves at stevens.edu
Wed May 15 17:31:00 EDT 2019

ANNOUNCEMENT -

DeBaun Performing Arts Center is offering a summer acting workshop to members of the Stevens community. The workshop will be taught by Bethany Reeves.

Our sessions will cover various aspects of acting craft. Each summer I choose an area for special focus, and this summer's choice is on developing a character. Everyone will have some specific monologue work and exercises in service of developing this skill set. It will require some homework.

This focus will continue into scenework, along with attention to other skills.

The workshop will culminate in two evenings of Scene Presentations. Dramatic material from Ibsen and Chekhov forward is generally stressed in scene selections.

Parameters:

  *   This is a not-for-credit workshop.
  *   No experience necessary.
  *   The workshop is free of charge, though all participants will be expected to borrow or purchase a play script for scenework.
  *   Initial character development exercises will involve use of Edgar Lee Masters' "Spoon River Anthology." Students may obtain their own copy (get the full collection of poems, not the play), or borrow one from DeBaun PAC (deposit: $10, to be returned when the book is returned).
  *   DATES:
     *   Most Monday and Wednesday evenings from May 29 to July 3, 7:00-10pm (wiggle room available for work issues).
     *   No class on Wednesday June 12.
     *   SCENE PRESENTATIONS (8pm, DeBaun): Friday July 5 & Saturday July 6
  *   Each actor will be assigned a monologue or scene for performance. Scenes require actors to rehearse with scene partners outside of class.
  *   Timely memorization is expected on both material for performance and the "Spoon River" work.

If you are interested but have not taken an acting class before, please contact me for an interview so you have a clear idea of what's involved. This also applies if you have been onstage but never in a class.

Of necessity there will be a limit on number of students. Please contact me directly, and soon, if interested!

All best,

Bethany Reeves

Stage Director/Teacher, DeBaun Shakespeare & Summer Theatre Projects