[SWE] GBM Recap & Opportunities

Kaylee Shepard kshepard at stevens.edu
Fri Feb 9 18:20:59 EST 2018

Hey everyone!

This email is just a recap of our Interviewing and Public Speaking GBM and
some opportunities.

*GBM Recap*
The presentation is attached to this email. I highly recommend checking out
the tips and tricks in it!

*Opportunities*

*Credit Suisse*

Credit Suisse offers two wonderful pipeline programs for younger students!
See details attached.

Steps to Success- targeting first year students from diverse backgrounds

Women’s Mentoring Program- targeting sophomore female students

Stevens students have participated in these programs in the past and have
had very positive experiences.

Information about both programs are attached to this email!

*NAVAIR*

NAVAIR is excited to be back on campus for the Stevens career fair. We
would like to inform Stevens Student Chapters and Special Emphasis
Organizations and their members that NAVAIR hopes to recruit several
Electrical, Computer and Mechanical Engineering students for entry-level
positions at the Lakehurst base in NJ. We are hopeful we will meet students
that are looking to attend the fair.  We ask that they stop by and get
inside scoop on NAVAIR from our recruiters.

Here's a brief overview on the opportunities available:

With the entry-level positions, an internal rotation (to another department
on the Lakehurst base) and external rotation (to one of the Navy bases
across the country) will be available along with many NAVAIR University
training courses (technical and career developmental) and on-site graduate
school. The positions are a great opportunity for exposure to a large
breadth of engineering in many critical applications.  Across the base
here, there's a fair amount of engineering teams available to work on, such
as Robotics and Intelligent Systems, V-22 Osprey Support Equipment,
electromagnetic aircraft launch system (EMALS), aircraft arresting gear,
manufacturing, materials lab, aircraft catapult and arrestment testing, and
prototyping through alternative materials (3D printing).

We are highly interested in meeting with Student Organizations such as
yours, so please spread the word about NAVAIRs presence at the upcoming
career fair.

*University of Southern California*

The USC Viterbi School of Engineering wants you! Join us for REACH, our
annual 2-day graduate engineering preview.

Who should attend REACH?
The focus of REACH is to develop and foster the talents and success of
undergraduate engineering students – students from historically
underrepresented backgrounds such as African American, Latino, and Native
American are particularly encouraged to attend.

What will be covered during my REACH visit?
• Experience our exciting research opportunities
• Benefit from special presentations and intensive workshops
• Meet and interact with our world-class faculty, current students and staff
• Tour our dynamic research labs and engineering facilities
• Learn about our Master’s and Doctoral programs
• Walk through the application and admissions process
• Experience life at USC and explore Los Angeles

When is it?
April 19-20, 2018 on the USC campus in Los Angeles, California.

How much does it cost?
Accepted REACH participants will have their round-trip transportation,
lodging and meals covered by USC!

Who should apply?
• College sophomores (second year) and juniors (third year) with a strong
academic background in engineering, math or hard science (physics, biology
or chemistry)
• Must be a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. or a citizen of Canada
• Applications are particularly encouraged from students who are female
and/or are Black/African Americans, Latino/Chicano Americans or Native
Americans

How do I apply?
Visit viterbi.usc.edu/REACH for the online application. In addition you
will need:
• University-issued academic transcript (PDF)
• Current CV or resume (PDF)
• Statement of purpose

What is the deadline to apply?
February 15, 2018* (Applications submitted after February 15th will be
reviewed on a case-by-case basis)

Visit viterbi.usc.edu/REACH for more information and the online application.

*Consumer Reports*
Customer Reports is coming to the Spring Career Fair on February 14th to
continue their tradition of introducing SIT students to Consumer Reports
and their Summer Internship program. This year, they are looking for
Engineering, IT, and Data Analytics interns.

What makes a CR internship unique is that you’ll get hands-on experience in
doing work that matters.  We’re a non-profit with a mission to give
consumers the information they need, resulting in a fairer, safer and
healthier world.  We do this through evidence-based product testing and
ratings, hard-hitting investigative journalism, public education, and
steadfast legislative policy action.

The CR family is comprised of a diverse team bound together by our
commitment to this mission. We employ and engage staff who reflect the
richness and variety of the society around us; valuing the uniqueness that
each staff member brings to CR, and creating an environment where everyone
feels welcomed, valued, and respected.

*Outreach Event*
Professor Fontaine is looking for enthusiastic volunteers to join her panel
for a Girl Day event at a Jersey City elementary school. Details can be
found on the flyer.

If you have any questions about anything in this email, feel free to email
swe at stevens.edu!

Have a great weekend!

--
*Kaylee Shepard*