[Themaintainers] Fwd: 2023 RFP - Digital Infrastructure Insights Fund

Andrew Russell andy at themaintainers.org
Tue Aug 22 11:50:30 EDT 2023

Hi everyone -

Please see below for a new RFP round on Digital Infrastructure.  Please share widely!

Andy

> -------------------------------
>
> The Digital Infrastructure Insights Fund (D//F) is launching a 2023 Request for Proposals (RFP):
> https://fordfoundation.forms.fm/2023-digital-infrastructure-insights-fund-rfp/forms/9724 <https://fordfoundation.forms.fm/2023-digital-infrastructure-insights-fund-rfp/forms/9724>
> D//F is a collaborative effort among multiple funders (Ford
>  Foundation, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, Omidyar Network, Schmidt Futures, Open Collective). We
>  sustain a platform for researchers and practitioners, fostering a deeper understanding of how open digital infrastructure is built, deployed and maintained.
>
> Open Digital Infrastructure
>  (to us) are open-source code and knowledge assets that lead to the creation of open digital building blocks like software libraries, compilers, communication or network protocols, and allow others to create on top.
>
> Inter alia,
>
> • we are looking for analyses on how underlying free and open-source software (FOSS) interacts with politics, sovereign responsibilities,
>  diverse economic sectors, and the advancement of knowledge in the sciences and beyond.
>
> • we aim to back the development of pertinent work that examines the convergence of open-source software and digital infrastructure
>  with social movements focused on democracy, rights, justice, the environment, and scientific research.
>
> • we seek to investigate the issue of under- maintenance and occasional undermining of FOSS, as well as explore any geographical
>  or other disparities within the communities responsible for providing and sustaining these software components amid evolving regulatory and socio-technical circumstances.
>
> Key points
>  about the D//F 2023 RFP:
>
> Scope:
>  We invite proposals spanning a spectrum of activities, from pioneering research to the implementation of past findings.
>

> Deadline:
>  The submission deadline for proposals is October 1st.
>

> Launch
>  Announcements on Social Media:
>
> - Twitter:
>  @DigInfFund: https://twitter.com/DigInfFund/status/1688461574745300992
> - Mastodon:
> https://mastodon.world/@DigInfFund
>  : https://mastodon.world/@DigInfFund/110847102194708181
> - LinkedIn:
>  (we don’t have a dedicated page there): https://www.linkedin.com/posts/kthrnmeyer_digital-infrastructure-insights-fund-rfp-activity-7094220177000521728-kZnn?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

_____

Andrew L. Russell, Ph.D.
+ Officer-in-Charge, SUNY Polytechnic Institute
+ Co-Director, The Maintainers <https://themaintainers.org/>
+ Co-Author, The Innovation Delusion: How Our Obsession with the New Has Disrupted the Work That Matters Most <https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/576816/the-innovation-delusion-by-lee-vinsel-and-andrew-l-russell/>