[FAST] Family Trees

Armand Reyes areyes at stevens.edu
Sat Oct 16 13:18:32 EDT 2010

To ALL members of FAST,

Good afternoon.  I hope that this email finds each of you well on this
breezy Autumn weekend. It's come to my attention that there was some
problems with the new family tree system that was implemented earlier this
week.   FAST has been, and always will be, an organization that looks out
for the best interest of its members, so if a concern is raised, the powers
that be will try and address it.

I understand that not everyone knew our objectives for a new tree, so before
I address the new changes that have been made, please allow me to clarify
the reasons behind the change in the first place.  The purpose of making
this new tree was to "fix" the issues of the original tree.  At the time,
the S family was down to around 3 active members while the F family was well
in their 20's.  Some members had significantly more littles than others and
some branches within the families were dying out.  The new tree was an
attempt to address these issues. The new tree also had rules-- no more than
2 bigs per member, only active members received littles, and priority of
littles went to the youngest generation of active members. To be clear, *the
new tree was never meant to replace the original tree*. The original tree
would simply be a Legacy tree to be viewed in the archives.

After talking with some alumni and older members of FAST, those who were
behind making the new tree realized that this may not have been the best way
to address the issues.  We made a mistake.  It wasn't the best decision, but
we are prepared to take ownership of it.  We realize that, though it wasn't
intentional, we did not do justice to many alumni and veterans of FAST.  I
think we were so caught up with organizing the tree that we forgot the whole
point of the tree.  The purpose is to be able to trace your roots as far
back as you can and no matter how you try and spin it, the new system simply
could not do that.

With all that said, *we have decided to go back to the original tree*, the
FAST tree, and it's original system. Given that we will no longer be
implementing a *max of two little per* rule, *some littles will be
reassigned to new bigs*.  Richard will be following up with an email to
those affected.  Also, to avoid the dying of families, particularly the S
family, we will be abolishing the lettering of the families.  Since we are
all *ONE family*, we will be connecting the original heads of each
family.  There
will only be one rule for assigning littles now: members will only be
eligible to receive littles if they have at least 2 years remaining (i.e.
senior will not receive littles). Also, to keep the competitive spirit from
karaoke night we will loosely reuse the "new families" and recycle them into
a concept known as "teams.". This would mean thatthere are 4 teams, F, A, S,
and T that can be used if Richard would like to do some type of organized
event in the spring.

For anyone who still does not understand, all of this will be explained
again at the General Body Meeting this Tuesday (10/19).

I truly apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused anyone and hope
that this will not affect anyone's feelings toward this organization.

Keep safe, keep warm, and enjoy the rest of you weekends!

-Armand

--
Armand Rook Reyes
Stevens Institute of Technology