[SHPC] AMSA Conference- Columbia University

SHPC E-Board shpc.eboard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 16:24:27 EDT 2015

Hey everyone,

As we mentioned in the meeting this past Monday, the American Medical
Student Association is holding a conference on November 14th with an
emphasis on *Humanity at the Heart of Healthcare. *Attached in this email
is a Google form in order to gauge interest in the event as well as a
description of the conference.

http://goo.gl/forms/pN3BaVHJvX

Medicine is at a critical decision point. Will we renew our commitment to
the highest ideals of the caring profession: people-centered,
justice-oriented, and ethically-minded; or will we concede our profession
to profit-driven corporitization, unjust social structures, and further
depersonalization in the patient-physician relationship? You are
physicians-in-training at exactly this crisis point. You are the future of
medicine, and the future will be determined by the values you embrace and
the choices you make now.

*Humanity at the Heart of Healthcare* is our vision for the future of
medicine, starting now. Experience the transformation of healthcare from
what it currently is, to what it can be, in the three educational tracks
related to the theme:  *The Sociology of Care: Structural Racism, Health,
and Social Justice*;*Caring for the Whole Person Using the Tools of
Narrative Medicine and Medical Humanities*; and *Ethical and Humanistic
Care at the Frontiers of Technology and Innovation*.

By participating in this one-day summit, you will be empowered with
knowledge and skills that will help you connect patients’ stories with your
professional actions of providing care and fighting for social justice; and
you’ll develop your ethical framework for integrating technology and
innovation with humanistic medicine.

Thank you!!!

Yours truly,

SHPC Eboard