[Themaintainers] edtech and maintenance: request for readings

Jeff Grann jgrann at credentialengine.org
Wed Feb 20 15:51:08 EST 2019

You might also consider including this short article
<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2018/12/7-things-you-should-know-about-credential-transparency-description-language>
on an open schema for credentials. Being new to this forum, I'd also
appreciate hearing anyone's thoughts on this work.

Jeff Grann

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 1:24 PM Nathan Schneider <
nathan.schneider at colorado.edu> wrote:

> This is very exciting. Together with Erin Glass at UCSD, I'm working on
> building an online wiki directory of "ethical edtech" (ethicaledtech.info),
> focused on free, open source, often self-hostable, non-surveillance tools.
> We'd love to work with others on organizing edit-a-thons to populate and
> promote the directory. It might even be fun to integrate into a course.
>
> I'd also love any input about how themes of maintenance might fit into
> such a directory. Like metrics of active maintenace in git repos? To me
> this is an important pedagogical need.
>
> Nathan
>
> ###
> Nathan Schneider
> Assistant Professor, Media Studies
> University of Colorado Boulder
>
> On February 20, 2019 11:21:13 AM MST, Carole Turley Voulgaris <
> caroleturley at ucla.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Have you seen the book *Teaching Naked* by Jose Antonio Bowen?
>>
>> The author advocates for using less technology (e.g. slide presentations)
>> in the classroom and a lot more technology (e.g. podcasts, social media) to
>> engage with students outside of scheduled class times.
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 9:52 AM Tom Okie <wtokie at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> Apologies if I've missed an earlier discussion of educational technology
>>> on this list, but I'm in the process of developing a list of
>>> readings/viewings for a course I teach called "Technology for Historians
>>> and History Educators," mostly to practicing teachers. I take a broad view
>>> of technology in the course (we talk about blackboards and codices as well
>>> as digital tech), and we'll be reading Larry Cuban's *Oversold and
>>> Underused: Computers in the Classroom*, and some of Audrey Watters'
>>> writing on edtech.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I'd be eager to hear if anyone has other suggestions for pieces
>>> that might teach well, including pieces that praise edtech, promise
>>> innovation and disruption, or address maintenance problems in education.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tom Okie
>>> Kennesaw State University
>>>
>> --

*Jeff Grann, Ph.D., *Credential Solutions Lead

*Credential Engine*

1.651.208.5748 | @jeffgrann <https://twitter.com/jeffgrann> |
jgrann at credentialengine.org

Credential Engine is a non-profit whose mission is to create credential
transparency, reveal the credential marketplace, increase credential
literacy, and empower everyone to make more informed decisions about
credentials and their value.
Read *7 Things You Should Know About Credential Transparency Description
Language