[Themaintainers] Introductions: Don from GitHub

Laura James lbjames at gmail.com
Tue May 21 05:27:27 EDT 2019

Hi everyone,

Just to follow up on this thread, I'm Laura James and a new fellow at
the Software
Sustainability Institute <http://www.software.ac.uk> here in the UK
(actually at the inaugural event today!).

I organise the Festival of Maintenance
<https://festivalofmaintenance.org.uk>, to draw together learning and
experiences from maintainers in different areas and sectors. Personally I
come from a software and hardware engineering background and very keen to
see what these emergent fields can learn from other areas. This year we're
focussing on maintenance in complex and changing times and tickets are on
sale now <https://ti.to/festival-of-maintenance/2019-festival> (you can
also donate to support our work, if you can't attend) We hope to be able to
livestream but really need to secure a sponsor for that. I hope to connect
this sort of conversation in the UK with everyone else at MIII :)

I've also just started a new role at lowRISC <http://www.lowrisc.org>, an
open source system on a chip innovator, which enables open source silicon
through collaborative engineering of tools and designs. We both create new
IP and maintain designs (both our own and from elsewhere - such as in our
recent announcement
<https://opensource.googleblog.com/2019/05/google-fosters-open-source-hardware.html>).
Both open source software and hardware maintenance are a special interest
for me therefore.

Looking forward to continuing conversations about software and digital
maintenance!

Laura